Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Here's what GRATITUDE looks like today.

Gratitude each day looks different and yet the same.  There are the constant promises: forgiving love, mercy, grace, eternal life, peace and joy in turmoil that are always present.  There are many other constants: a comfortable home, food, caring family, encouraging friends, loving church family, health and so much more.  These are the gratitudes that remain the same.  The ones summed up in our little one's frequent prayers,


"Dear God, Thank you for everything you've given us.  Thank you for taking care of us."

Yes, thank you, Lord.  Your goodness is so great, it seems impossible to list all the ways you provide.



Then there are the gratitudes that change by the day.  The things I have to open my eyes to in the everyday, normal, and mostly chaotic of days.  The things that might be harder to see when the day has been challenging, frustrating, overwhelming.  These are the gratitudes that change and here are mine for today.

Today I'm thankful for....

1. doctors, dentists, and easy to obtain medical care.  With five medical appointments in the past week between two of our children, it is easy to think, "Oh no, not another doctor's visit.  Not another copay!" but today I'm choosing to say thank you Lord!  You have provided professionals that have the knowledge to care for my children and make them feel better.  We have medical care closely available and affordable.  Thank you.

2. compassionate professionals.  Two of our very recent family situations come to mind.  Just yesterday my husband was stopped by a police officer.  My husband deserved great penalty.  What he received was compassion and understanding.  We know he did not deserve it and that makes one all the more grateful.  Just a few days before our middle child was suffering with a swollen face and great oral pain.  A professional who did not even know us, intervened with compassion and care.  She provided an intervention that has provided our child pain relief, a treatment plan, and the road to healing.  Thank you.

3. snow.  Now, if I'm being honest, I do not like snow.  Nope.  I grew up in northern Illinois where we endured at least six months of winter and plenty of snow.  More than once there was snow on my birthday......the very end of May.  So needless to say, I feel like my snow tank is full.  But then a day like today creeps upon us and I am surprisingly grateful for snow!  Here in eastern Tennessee, snow brings beauty, terrible driving conditions, and closings.  Yep, all the unnecessary businesses close and life slows down.  AND that is the part I like.  I enjoy a day or two at home with my family of five near, warm, playing, eating, and peaceful.  I like the opportunity to stay in.  Thank you, Lord, for the snow.

As a part of the Raising Grateful Kids launch team (Kristen's book will be released January 26th! Order it now at Raising Grateful Kids or amazon for $10), writers were asked "How does gratitude look in your home?"  As I thought on this question, these steps came to mind.

1. Choose a grateful heart.
2. Look for gratitude opportunities in your day.
3. Speak your gratefulness out loud.

When our children and those around us hear us thank God for the big and little blessings in life, they too begin to notice the details He provides.  Gratitude becomes contagious.



Here's my thoughts on gratitude for today.  So many others have shared their thoughts, ideas, and lessons learned below.  Check out Marie's thoughts and others' through our Raising Grateful Kids Blog Hop.  Read on and be encouraged!



No comments:

Post a Comment