Saturday, December 12, 2015

Finish the race.....but finish it well

He has fought the good fight, he has finished the race, he kept the faith.(II Timothy 4:7). Abraham Thomas has received his crown of righteousness.  I can think of no one that lived his life with such tenacity, joy, faith, commitment, and hard work.  Abraham passed from this life to his eternal home one week ago.  This week many from India to Tennessee and so many places in between gathered to celebrate his life.  As I gathered with others today to reflect on a life well lived, I cried, I laughed, I sang.....but mostly I was inspired.  Inspired to love better. Work harder.  Stay focused.  Complain less. I am so inspired I wish that all I know could also know Abraham and his exciting love for the Lord.  It overflowed from his being.  Can you imagine his joy now that he can see his Maker face to face?!?  I left his memorial service having a strong desire to encourage others and share a bit of the man I knew. 

I met Abraham eleven years ago.  As a nurse for fifteen years I have cared for many through the years, but I can clearly remember the moment I met Abraham.  His smile was wide.  His joy contagious and his faith evident.  He clasped my hands and immediately thanked God for me.  I had not done a thing for Abraham.....and yet he thanked me.  Abraham had a new diagnosis of cancer and we would be assisting him with the treatment.  As we planned the details of his treatment, as always, Abraham's concern was how quickly he could return to his mission work with CEF (Christian Evangelical Fellowship) and would he still be able to teach, preach, and travel to share the Gospel.  His treating physician was also a brother in Christ and found ways to accommodate Abraham's needs.  Even with a diagnosis of cancer, there was no stopping Abraham.  He continued to work intensely.  He encouraged and prayed for us, his caregivers.  He spurred us on to share our faith with others.  

Anyone that knew Abraham, knows that he was a praying man.  In his hour of greatest need, he still prayed for others.  True selfless love.  As I was pregnant with our firstborn, Abraham laid his hands on my belly and prayed for our son, praising God for his life and asking that he might grow to serve the Lord.  Many months later when Abraham first met our oldest son, he snatched him into his arms, raised him to the heavens and thanked God for this new precious life.  Oh that we might live our lives with unstoppable gratitude!

Through the years I came to know Abraham not just as a patient but as a friend and a mentor in Christ.  He always, always encouraged others.  His excitement for the Lord overflowed increasing others' joy.  He worked day and night, without complaints but only with praise on his lips.  He led his family with wisdom and gentleness displaying Christ's love for us.  Abraham loved to teach, loved to sing, loved to laugh.  When he more recently received a second cancer diagnosis, Abraham prayed for his own healing.....not to have more years to walk the earth or love on his grandchild but so that he might continue spreading the precious Good News of Jesus.  

Abraham did receive that healing....made whole by his Father's touch.  And though tomorrow morning,  he may not gather in a small town church building, thousands upon thousands will gather in India and the United States because of their love for the Lord.  A love that was introduced by Abraham.  

Are you running your race? Or walking?  Or limping?  Abraham faced TWO cancer diagnosis and yet I never heard him complain but ONLY give praise to our Father!  Abraham's life shows the pure joy and confidence that comes from running steadfast the race laid before us.  He did not solely finish the race, he finished it well.  I can hear Abraham's joyful "Praise the Lord!!!" as he meets his King and I can hear our Savior's reply, "Well done, good and faithful servant."  




No comments:

Post a Comment