Monday, September 15, 2014

Oh be careful little mouth what you say!

August, 2014:
So tonight was the first time since Brody has been home that I have audibly heard remarks regarding his different appearance.  To hear these words did not hurt me (and of course Brody didn't hear them!) but they did surprise me.  It was not the words that surprised me (I actually thought I would hear comments sooner than this!) but the one who said these words.  It was a young child at a playground.  A child.  He didn't just notice that our boy looks different, he commented on his race, and pointed out the other "Chinese" girl at the playground.  His conversation went on and on about the two Chinese children.  Let me tell you, it was not nice words! 


So, it got me thinking.  How does one this young know these words and thoughts?  What caused him to point out their differences and repeatedly "harass" the two little ones about their differences?  I would guess that his words and thoughts come from an adult influence.  I have been thinking a lot about the words I say around my children.  When I am with my children, I am completely comfortable and let me guard down.  I probably share too many thoughts and they can easily become their thoughts.  Let's be aware of our words to one another.  Words can start an untamed fire or provide a soothing balm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment